Monday, August 17, 2009

FINALLY it's happened (to me)

Praise the Lord! We finally have a phone and internet connection in our apartment! It is so nice to be able to sit in the comfort of my own home and type these words to you. Since I haven't been able to share some of the things I have been doing over the past few weeks, here goes a list of some firsts for me:
-I have driven our "stickshift" auto around town now several times! If you know me at all, you know this is a BIG feat!!
-I rode my bike around town also. Another big feat for me, since I am affectionately referred to as "Grace" by my family :)
-I made fried zucchini and cornbread muffins for supper the other night. This is huge, especially here where cornbread is unheard of.
-We went camping at a lake near here, where it actually got cold in the middle of August. What the world??!! Being from Tennessee, I have NEVER been cold in August!!
-I went camping!! :)
-I actually understood some lady at the store the other day when she asked me a question in German! (This has only happened ONCE, let me reassure you.)
These are just a few of the many things we have been doing. The kids are doing just great; even Leonard is practicing his German around town by saying thank you (danke) and your welcome (bitte). Abigail has grown at least two inches since we left- her size 2 jeans are looking like high-water waders these days! But, they do miss you all and have their days when they want to go back "home". Just the other day, our babysitter said she was sending her dog to America, and Leonard asked if he could go with him (the dog)!!
Thanks for all your prayers, comments, emails, and facebook messages. These things help me get through each day! (And if you are reading this and haven't commented yet- shame on you!!) Seriously, looking forward to hearing from you soon-
Amber

4 comments:

Ray-n-Paula said...

Amber -

We have been praying about you guys and your situation. Glad to know that you are still making "firsts." Soon they will be just what you do. Also glad to hear that your language is beginning to click. 40 days and counting 'til we find ourselves waiting on the internet and phone connentions to arrive.
Trying to figure out the World-view ;~{b)

Ray and Paula

Mommajack said...

We did have a good day. Fortyone years is a long time to put up with someone...I don't know how your dad did it!!! It was such a blessing to get to v-chat with you and see you and the kids. It's been a long time!!! It's good just to know that we can talk if we want to!!! i was disappointed that you didn't talk to me in German though. I can't wait to hear your McNairy County southern dialect of German!!! And I do wish I could see you driving!!! That was sure to have been quite entertaining!!! I know God is and will use you in a great and mighty way in Germany to spread the Good News. Love to all of you, Mommajack

Uncle Kyle said...

You realize of course, now that you have your phone connection, that we expect e-mails, Skype calls, texts, pictures, Twitters, blogs, smoke signals, trumpet blasts, and carrier pigeons coming at us constantly?
It IS so good to hear from you.
Lord bless.

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh I am glad to hear all of these great things that are new and you are embracing them! Great job!

P.S. My family calls me grace also;)